Parking in Galveston
A Necessary Evil Explained
Paying to park anywhere is a necessary evil, but in Galveston, you can see first-hand where your money is going! Parking fees collected on the Seawall are used to maintain and add amenities, such as landscaping, lighting and restrooms. Parking fees are collected downtown to ensure that adequate parking is available for people eating, shopping and visiting downtown.
Tip: If you are planning to park on the Seawall or downtown, you should download the Pay By Phone app available in your smart phone’s app store, and set up your payment options beforehand.
|MAP OF DOWNTOWN GALVESTON PARKING PAY STATION LOCATIONS||The City of Galveston|
Pay Stations are located throughout the downtown Historic District. They can be found at multiple intersections, as noted in the graphic above. A License Plate Number is required for pay stations & PayByPhone.
- Parking Downtown is enforced daily between 9 AM and 6 PM, Monday through Saturday
- Parking within Downtown is $1.50/hour with a minimum of 1 hour
- PayByPhone transactions incur a 25 cent convenience fee per transaction
- Payment is per license plate and is non-transferable
- Handicap plates/placards and Disable Veterans plates are exempt
- Improperly parked vehicles are subject to a $30 citation
- 15 minute grace periods will be given
- Payment Options: PayByPhone or call 866-234-7275 or call 409-797-5198
In addition, 16 parking meters are available where visitors may pay using cash or a credit/debit card; payment through PayByPhone via the mobile app, online at paybyphone.com, or over the phone has been reinstated; and Sundays will remain free of charge!
When using the PayByPhone system, you will the need this location code for the Galveston Seawall: 5689.
Paying for parking on Seawall Boulevard is convenient and secure!
Visitors to the Seawall are now able to use a mobile app, the internet, or a mobile phone to pay for parking. The parking transactions are transmitted real-time to reflect payment status to parking ambassadors and patrol cars.
All parking payments are associated with a single license plate and are non-transferable, eliminating the need to display a receipt on your vehicle’s dash, or to display a sticker or hang-tag!
When using the PayByPhone system, you will the need this location code for the Galveston Seawall: 5004.
- Fee: $2 / hour with a minimum of 2 hours, not to exceed $16 / day, yearly passes available. (Annual passes are $45 per year and can be purchased on the app by entering 52 weeks for the parking time. Annual passes are valid one year from the purchase date.)
- Operation: 10 AM – 6 PM, 7 days a week, 365 days per year
- Payment Options: PayByPhone or call 866-234-7275
Paid parking areas include the north and south sides of Seawall Boulevard from 6th to 69th Street and 81st to 103rd Street. The area between 69th and 81st Street is free of charge. Fees are used to pay for amenities along the Seawall, including maintaining lights, bathrooms, landscaping, and reserves for future projects.
There are also free parking zones located on the north side of Seawall Boulevard in the following areas: between 12th and 19th streets, 33rd and 39th streets, 53rd and 61st streets, and 85th to the 9100 block of Seawall. There are about 220 free parking spaces, or about 10 percent of the total number of spaces on the Seawall. Drivers may only park on the street in the parking lane, not on the sidewalk.
Additional information may be found on The City of Galveston’s website.
Parking During Your Cruise
There are a number of parking companies that offer a variety of parking options while you’re on your cruise vacation.
Tip: Book online and receive discounts at several locations!