Galveston.com  West Point Missionary Baptist Church

HISTORIC PLACES
Advertisement
general map disqus

This church was organized in 1870 as West Point Free Mission Baptist Church with the Reverend E. T. Hall serving as pastor. Services were held in various locations throughout Galveston.

The current building was erected in 1916 and completed in 1921 with funds donated by African American longshoremen. The Reverend John C. Calhoun, who served as pastor during this time, was instrumental in getting jobs for longshoremen on Galveston docks.