Located near 64th Street b/w Seawall & Central City Blvds, the site of the Rosewood Cemetery is still in existence though in disarray. Historical records show the land was once owned by the late Thomas D. Armstrong and Nando Herbert.
The Rosewood Cemetery Association was founded by African Americans in Galveston around 1911. The first burial, according to records, was that of Robert Bailey, a 14-day-old child. The date was February 12, 1912. The last burial was that of Frank Boyer, on June 29, 1944. A group of citizens cleaned up the cemetery a few years ago, but later found that the land was no longer owned by the association. Efforts are being made to secure the site.