Summer is here and so is the time to visit the beach! Galveston Island has a variety of beaches to offer visitors and we have compiled our best beach tips to make the most out of your trip!
1. Find the Best Beach for You - From families to nature lovers, Galveston has a beach that caters to everyone’s needs. Stewart Beach is perfect for families looking to get some quality time with those they love. This beach is popular with families because it features a children's playground, chair and umbrella rentals, concessions, restrooms, showers, and even a gift shop. Our Pocket Parks offer more privacy and are generally less crowded making it a great spot for peaceful meditation. Looking for more of a party scene? Check out East Beach. The only Galveston beach that allows alcohol, this is a good option for people looking to come down with a large group and relax with a couple of brews. If you are looking for an outdoor adventure, check out the Galveston Island State Park. Families can enjoy kayak tours, beach and surf explorations, bird walks, nature field trips and fishing clinics. Start your beach trip planning here.
2. Check out Murdoch's – If you’re looking for an easy beach day with little commitment you will definitely want to consider Murdoch’s! Located on Seawall and 22nd Street, Murdoch’s is essentially a one–stop-shop complete with cold drinks, unique gifts and a historic tie to the island. Murdoch’s has been an island business since the late 1800’s when it operated as a bathhouse that rented swimwear to visitors. After being destroyed in the Great Strom, it reopened as a gift shop and has offered visitors (and locals) souvenirs, shells and a great place to hang out ever since. The main reason to visit, however, is the stunning view of the gulf! Grab one of the rocking chairs on the balcony and cozy in for a relaxing day.
3. Check the Calendar for Beach Events - Make your beach day even more memorable by perusing the extensive list of beachfront events that occur on an almost daily basis. Stewart Beach offers regular sandcastle lessons for those looking to become sand architects, food truck events for foodies, and family-friendly events like the recurring Galveston Family Beach Challenge. East Beach caters to high energy visitors with a variety of concerts and sporting events. Find the calendar of events here.
4. You Can Bring Your Dog- Calling all dog lovers! Make your beach day complete with your four-legged friend. Just make sure you bring a leash so your pooch can join you on a beach stroll. Check out other dog friendly places here.
5. Worried about the Weather? We get it, Texas weather can be a little unpredictable. Lucky for you, you can get live updates from more than a dozen webcams positioned across the island. Before you head down to our piece of paradise hop online and check out the webcams here.