Today's Restaurant Week spotlight reminds us all of what we love to do - blaze through a tough morning of work so you can race to your favorite spot for lunch with your pals! Seriously, it doesn't really matter how crazy all the conference calls and emails can be, as long as you know there's a delicious and affordable grub to enjoy mid-day.
And for two oh-so-delectable weeks, your choices are going to be a whole lot more appetizing. Over thirty of your favorite Galveston eateries are participating in Galveston Restaurant Week, returning for its seventh culinary event January 6th thru 21st. Home of the finest Gulf Coast seafood and some of Texas's most delectable restaurants, Galveston Island proudly welcomes visitors to this family-friendly event where patrons can choose from Galveston's most delightful and delicious eateries for prix-fixe lunch and/or dinner menus - in attractive price points you're sure to savor!
Shrimp 'N Stuff Downtown ($10)
The original Shrimp 'N Stuff Restaurant opened in 1976 and quickly became known as "the place where the locals love to eat." In these past decades, they've had many guests visiting the Island from across the U.S. who say they wished they had found Shrimp 'N Stuff the first day they arrived! The sparkling Shrimp 'N Stuff Downtown is located on 23rd Street, steps from The Strand, and is offering a great $10 lunch you won't want to miss.
The 3-course menu offers a starter of soup or salad and features a lunch plate of either Popcorn Shrimp with Fries and Slaw, a dandy Shrimp Salad Po-Boy, or a Grilled Chicken Sandwich or Grilled Catfish. Finish it up with a cookie or bread pudding, and you've got an inexpensive, delicious meal. Of course, you won't want to miss their $25 dinner menu, either!
Taquilo's Tex-Mex Cantina ($10)
Not jonesing for seafood at lunch? No problem, cause Galveston Restaurant Groups's Taquilo's Tex-Mex Cantina is serving up on their own south-of-the-border fiesta just a couple of blocks away on Postoffice Street! For just $10, you'll enjoy some of the most incredible chips and salsa on the Island, along with a muy grande choice of THREE different entrees, including the following:
- Three Cheese Chicken Tinga Stuffed Poblano Pepper: Shredded ranchero chicken, in a fire roasted poblano pepper. Topped with Taquilo’s Texas chili gravy & pico de gallo. Served with rice & bean
- Summer Plate: One beef taco, one bean chalupa, chile con queso tostada and guacamole
- Beef Taco: Seasoned ground beef, lettuce, tomato and shredded cheese on choice of tortilla. Served with rice & beans
But save room for the cinnamon-sugar-coated Churros, cause they're nothing short of legendary. Head back a little later for the $20 three-course dinner!
Of course, one of the reasons we're such fans of Galveston Restaurant Group? Their restaurants offer such a wide variety of cuisines! In fact, literally steps away from Taquilo's are two other excellent spots that are absolutely perfect for a quick and easy lunch!
Sky Bar Steak & Sushi ($12)
There’s Sky Bar Steak & Sushi, where East truly meets West! Guests can enjoy the ultimate dining experience in a setting that stimulates the senses with an edgy warm colorful feel. Sky Bar's $12 lunch for Restaurant Week is truly memorable, offering a starter of their famous Seaweed Salad, followed with the following entree choices:
- Chef’s Daily Special: Consult with your server for today’s special
- Chicken Katsu: Chicken breast lightly breaded in Japanese bread crumbs, served over a bed of fried rice and topped with spicy Japanese mayo
- Pepper Steak: Marinated Asian beef & bell peppers served over a bed of steamed rice & a Spring roll
- Japanese mayo: Sesame Chicken Stir-fried chicken breast served with Asian vegetables, steamed rice & a Spring roll
This Asian-inspired delight concludes with a Chef's Select Dessert. And don't miss Sky Bar's 3-course Dinner Menu, at only $25 per person!
Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar ($10)
Another Galveston Restaurant Group participant, Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar, home of "the Best Gumbo in Galveston" in the recent Galveston.com Best of the Island Awards. And their team is ready to show off just what's made it the downtown "must-visit" it's become! For only $10, you'll begin with a garden-fresh Greek or Caesar Salad, choose from one of the following entrees, and end with a Chef's Select Dessert:
- Chicken or Fish on a Roll: Grilled or Fried Chicken served on a Challah roll with shredded lettuce, tomato, pickles & mayo
- Grilled or Fried Tilapia Filet: served on a Challah roll with American cheese, shredded lettuce, Filettomato, pickles & tartar sauce
- Chicken & Sausage Gumbo: Served with scoop of steamed rice
- Seafood Gumbo: Shrimp, crab and oysters Served with scoop of steamed rice
- Shorty Po-Boy: Choice of shrimp, oyster, crawfish or BBQ oyster With choice of homemade fresh cut potato or sweet potato fries
Not telling you what to do? But you really need to figure a way to enjoy a bit of a shorty po-boy AND the seafood gumbo. Seriously, the combination of the two is one of our favorite meals on the Island! (And be sure to head back for their $20 dinner menu which features their dazzling Shrimp Platter!)
Gypsy Joynt ($12)
And rounding out the lunch spotlight? One of our personal favorites, and winner of Restaurant of The Year in the 2017 Best of the Island Awards! Of course, we're talking about the eclectic, oh-so-cool Gypsy Joynt over in the up & coming WeMa (West of Market) district. This Bohemian-style eatery absolutely screams attention, offering an array of natural and organic recipes, along with a host of delectable pizzas, burgers, sandwiches, pasta, salads, specialty coffees, and more. And, of course, leave it to Gypsy Joynt to offer one of the more interesting Restaurant Week menus for 2018!
Here are their “(Meat) Balls To The Wall” lunch menu:
- Tuesday: General Tso Chicken Meatballs with White Rice
- Wednesday: EIEIO Meatballs: beef, chicken, & pork; mashed potatoes with savory gravy
- Thursday: Hamburger Steak Meatballs over fries with rich brown gravy
- Friday: Cajun Pork Meatballs over dirty rice
- Saturday: Floating Backstroke Gobble Meatballs: turkey meatball in broth wide noodles
Gypsy Joynt's also offering a $20 dinner menu that's equally colorful.
Remember! Participating in Galveston Restaurant Week is easy! There are no passes to buy, no coupons to carry, and no cards to punch, only a quick call to the restaurant of your choice to make reservations; then simply dine out now thru January 21st! Reservations are strongly recommended to make sure you're able to sample your favorite flavors! The public is invited to experience cuisine that will amplify your palate and highlight the fun of dining on Galveston Island. Quite simply, this culinary tradition promises to "celebrate delicious!" like no other event of the year.