Galveston is no stranger to hurricanes, but this time the island is in a position it didn’t expect. Galveston fared relatively well during Hurricane Harvey with its beaches, major attractions and historic sites being spared from serious damages. Though we were fortunate, we stand by our inland neighbors and continue to strive to help them in recovery, because we are #TexasStrong and #GalvestonCares.
Port of Galveston / Cruises
The Port of Galveston/Galveston Ship Channel is now open to vessels with less than 33 feet draft during daylight hours. The following is the plan as of Sep. 1 at 9:00 am.
- Carnival Freedom docked this morning to debark guests from its previous cruise. Embarkation for the September 2 voyage will take place on Saturday.
- Carnival Valor docked this morning to disembark guests. The August 31 sailing of Carnival Valor has been cancelled. However, the September 4 sailing will operate as scheduled
- Carnival Breeze is scheduled to arrive on Saturday morning to disembark guests from the previous cruise. Embarkation for the September 3 sailing will take place on Sunday.
- RCCL Liberty of the Seas is scheduled to dock later today to disembark guests and will depart Sunday.
If you would like to retrieve your vehicle or a family member’s vehicle please contact the Port of Galveston Police Department at 409-766-6169.
According to www.drivetexas.org, Interstate 45 is now open. Houston’s Hobby Airport and George Bush Intercontinental Airport have resumed limited domestic airline passenger service. The airports expect to return to full service this weekend. On Galveston Island, the Galveston-Bolivar Ferry is running. Scholes International Airport is open. The San Luis Pass Bridge is open. The city’s trolley service has been temporarily suspended.
Galveston’s hotels are open and operating. A few hotels have received minimal water and/or wind damage but no major issues have been reported. Several hotel and lodging venues are accepting FEMA vouchers and/or offering discounts to visitors impacted by the storm.
Restaurants & Shops
While some of the island’s restaurants and shops remain closed, many places are open to serve guests and residents. For an updated list of open restaurants and bars, click here.
Seawall Urban Park is open and seawall beaches are accessible. West End beach access points are open. Stewart Beach and Dellanera RV Park will open tomorrow. East Beach and the West End Pocket Parks are closed due to limited staff.
Attractions & Events
Galveston’s major tourist attractions have made it through the storm with minimal damages. No major issues have been reported. Moody Gardens and The Grand 1894 Opera House are open. remained open.
The following attractions will open Friday, September 1:
The following events have been rescheduled:
- BrewMaster’s Craft Beer Festival scheduled over Labor Day weekend has been postponed to a TBA date.
- All events scheduled at East Beach for Labor Day weekend will be rescheduled for TBA dates.
- Sunday’s scheduled fireworks show over the Gulf of Mexico will be rescheduled.
- Wicked Wine Run scheduled for Sept. 22 has been cancelled.
- Last Saturday’s cancelled ArtWalk has been rescheduled for Sept. 9.
- Last Saturday’s cancelled "Dixie's Tupperware Party" at The Grand 1894 Opera House has been rescheduled for Nov. 10.