Unfortunately, it appears that more and more, cruisers are forgetting to pack common courtesy along with their swim suits. Perhaps it’s time for a remedial lesson in basic cruise etiquette.
- DO NOT rush into the elevators as soon as the door opens – some people would like to exit without being trampled. MIND YOUR CHILDREN – (not everyone thinks they’re as cute as you do) – DO NOT bring them into adult venues.
- DO NOT “amble” four abreast through the main Promenade – allow others room to pass – and for Pete’s Sake – DO NOT stop suddenly! At the least you may wind up with a fellow passenger’s drink all over your back - or worse yet, a fellow passenger!
- DO NOT save deck chairs or seats in the theater – you may be able to explain ONE as being for your traveling partner – but a whole row? DO NOT cut in line – you won’t get where you’re going any faster, but you will “PO” a lot of people.
- DO arrive on time in the dining room – PROPERLY DRESSED! If your idea of “dressed” is shorts and flip-flops – go to the casual buffet.
- DO NOT air your gripes – not everyone cares that you didn’t enjoy your shore excursion or whatever! DO keep in mind that your cabin attendant’s duty is to clean your room – not to pick up after you.
- DO NOT walk through or sit near smoking areas and complain about the smoke – there’s a reason they’re called that – DOH! DO remember that “servers” are not “servants” – they work long hours to make your cruise a pleasant experience – thank them!
Cruise etiquette – is life etiquette – is COMMON COURTESY – don’t leave home without it!
There are probably many more “DO’S and DON’TS that Lorraine missed – she welcomes your input.