Today's Restaurant Week spotlight reminds us all of what we love to do - blaze through a tough morning of work so you can race to your favorite spot for lunch with your pals! Seriously, it doesn't really matter how crazy all the conference calls and emails can be, as long as you know there's delicious. affordable grub to enjoy mid-day.
And for two oh-so-delectable weeks, your choices are gonna be a whole lot more appetizing. cause over thirty of your favorite Galveston eateries are participating in Galveston Restaurant Week, returning for its sixth culinary event January 7th thru 22nd. Home of the finest Gulf Coast seafood and some of Texas's most delectable restaurants, Galveston Island proudly welcomes visitors to this family-friendly event, where patrons can choose from Galveston's most delightful and delicious eateries for prix-fixe lunch and/or dinner menus - in attractive price points you're sure to savor!
Shrimp 'N Stuff Downtown
Just like Shrimp 'N Stuff Downtown! The original Shrimp 'N Stuff Restaurant opened in 1976 and quickly became known as "the place where the locals love to eat." In these past decades, they've had many guests visiting the Island from across the U.S. who say they wished they had found Shrimp 'N Stuff the first day they arrived! The sparkling new Shrimp 'N Stuff Downtown is now open on 23rd Street, steps from The Strand, and is offering a great $10 lunch you won't wanna miss.
The 3-course menu offers a starter of salad or hushpuppies, and features a lunch plate of either Popcorn Shrimp with Fries and Slaw, a dandy Shrimp Salad Po-Boy, or a Grilled Chicken Sandwich. Finish it up with a cookie or bread pudding, and you've got an inexpensive, delicious meal. Of course, you won't wanna miss their $25 dinner menu, either!
Taquilo's Tex-Mex Cantina
Not jonesing for seafood at lunch? No problemo, cause Galveston Restaurant Groups's Taquilo's Tex-Mex Cantina is serving up on their own south-of-the-border fiesta just a couple of blocks away on Postoffice Street! For just ten bucks, you'll enjoy some of the most incredible chips and salsas on the Island, along with a muy grande choice of FOUR different entrees, including the following:
- Three Cheese Chicken Tinga Stuffed Poblano Pepper: Shredded ranchero chicken, in a fire roasted poblano pepper. Topped with Taquilo’s Texas chili gravy & pico de gallo. Served with rice & beans
- Summer Plate: One beef taco, one bean chalupa, chile con queso tostada and guacamole
- Carnitas: Slow roasted pulled pork with diced onions & cilantro served with Diablo sauce on soft flour or corn tortillas. Served with rice & beans
- Beef Taco: Seasoned ground beef, lettuce, tomato and shredded cheese on choice of tortilla. Served with rice & beans
But save room for the cinnamon-sugar-coated Churros, cause they're nothing short of legendary. Head back a little later for the $20 three-course dinner!
Of course, one of the reasons we're such fans of Galveston Restaurant Group? Their restaurants offer such a wide variety of cuisines! In fact, literally steps away from Taquilo's are two other excellent spots that are absolutely perfect for a quick and easy lunch!
Sky Bar Steak & Sushi
First, there's Sky Bar Steak & Sushi, where East truly meets West! Guests can enjoy the ultimate dining experience in a setting that stimulates the senses with an edgy warm colorful feel. Sky Bar's $12 lunch for Restaurant Week is truly memorable, offering a starter of their famous Seaweed Salad, followed with the following entree choices:
- Chef Joaquin's Daily Special: Consult with your server for today’s special
- Chicken Katsu: Chicken breast lightly breaded in Japanese bread crumbs, served over a bed of fried rice and topped with spicy Japanese mayo
- Sesame Chicken: Stir fried chicken breast served with Asian vegetables, steamed rice & a Spring roll
- Pepper Steak: Marinated Asian beef & bell peppers served over a bed of steamed rice & a Spring roll
This Asian-inspired delight concludes with a Chef's Select Dessert. And don't miss Sky Bar's 3-course Dinner Menu, at only $25 per person!
Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar
And, second, there's Galveston Restaurant Group's Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar, home of "the Best Gumbo in Galveston" in the recent Galveston.com Best of the Island Awards. And their team is ready to show off just what's made it the downtown "must-visit" it's become! For only $10, you'll begin with a garden-fresh Greek or Caesar Salad, choose from one of the following entrees, and end with a Chef's Select Dessert:
- Chicken or Fish on a Roll: Grilled or Fried Chicken served on a Challah roll with shredded lettuce, tomato, pickles & mayo
- Grilled or Fried Tilapia Filet: served on a Challah roll with American cheese, shredded lettuce, Filettomato, pickles & tartar sauce
- Chicken & Sausage Gumbo: Served with scoop of steamed rice
- Seafood Gumbo: Shrimp, crab and oysters Served with scoop of steamed rice
- Shorty Po-Boy: Choice of shrimp, oyster, crawfish or BBQ oyster With choice of homemade fresh cut potato or sweet potato fries
Not telling you what to do? But you really need to figure a way to enjoy a bit of a shorty po-boy AND the seafood gumbo. Seriously, the combination of the two is one of our favorite meals on the Island! (And be sure to head back for their $20 dinner menu which features their dazzling Shrimp Platter!)
And rounding out the lunch spotlight? One of our personal faves, and winner of Best New Restaurant in the 2016 Best of the Island Awards! Of course, we're talking about the eclectic, oh-so-cool Gypsy Joynt over in the up & coming WeMa (West of Market) district. This Bohemian-style eatery absolutely screams attention, offering an array of natural and organic recipes, along with a host of delectable pizzas, burgers, sandwiches, pastas, salads, specialty coffees, and more. And, of course, leave it to Gypsy Joynt to offer one of the more interesting Restaurant Week menus for 2016!
Their $10 lunch menu offers only two items to choose - Chicken Parmesan Fingers or Chicken Fried Steak Fingers - both served with fries, Texas toast, and dipping sauce. And they're both crazy delicious!
Too hearty for lunch? Then take a look at the Joynt's All Day Salad Menu! For just $15, you'll enjoy one of the following, plus a choice of cookie and beverage:
- Italian Sausage Salad: mixed greens, marinated tomatoes, onion, cucumber, black olives, salami, roasted red peppers, ricotta, basil, parmesan & topped w/ Italian Sausage. Served with Texas toast.
- Butternut Squash Salad: mixed greens, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, black olives, apples, blueberries, caramelized onion, walnuts, goat cheese, & butternut squash. Served with cornbread muffin.
- Prosciutto Salad: mixed greens, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, black olives, blueberries, fresh mozzarella, & prosciutto. Served with happy muffin.
- Steak Finger Salad: mixed greens, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, black olives, sliced ham, swiss cheese & 3 chicken fried steak fingers. Served with Texas toast.
Gypsy Joynt's also offering a $25 dinner menu that's equally colorful.
Remember! Participating in Galveston Restaurant Week is easy! There are no passes to buy, no coupons to carry, and no cards to punch, only a quick call to the restaurant of your choice to make reservations; then simply dine out now thru January 22nd! Reservations are strongly recommended to make sure you're able to sample your favorite flavors! The public is invited to experience cuisine that will amplify your palate and highlight the fun of dining on Galveston Island. Quite simply, this culinary tradition promises to "celebrate delicious!" like no other event of the year.